Executive order may prevent individuals from entering U.S.

Kentucky residents may have heard of a concept called advance parole. It allows individuals applying for permanent residency in the United States to return to the country after traveling overseas. Parole may be granted to asylees or those who are in the United States as part of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. However, President Donald Trump may sign an executive order that could make it harder for individuals to use advance parole to reenter the country.

It is important to note that such an order has yet to be signed. It is also important to note that it would not apply to those who hold an H-1B or an L-1A or L-IB visa. Employers and foreign nationals who are going through the green card process may wish to ask for or extend such a status until they have their green cards.

Individuals who have such visas are allowed to use them to reenter the country because of their permanent intent while in the country. Therefore, they can be used by foreign nationals while they go through the process of becoming permanent residents if they wish to do so. Foreign nationals who have advance parole or are applying for advance parole may wish to stay in the country until more information is provided about the order.

People who are unclear about their ability to enter or live in the United States may wish to speak with an immigration attorney. Legal counsel may be able to answer any questions they may have about their status or provide assistance applying for advance parole or a green card. An attorney may be helpful in the event that an individual is facing deportation or is otherwise unable to reenter the country after leaving.



FindLaw Network