Law Offices of Dennis M. Clare, PSC
This is an Advertisement
Call For A Confidential Consultation:

How can highly skilled immigrants lawfully work in Kentucky?

Immigration Services

Many foreign-born people working in Kentucky and across the United States have a college degree. There are four common ways a person from another nation can lawfully reside in the U.S. They could obtain a H-1b visa, an F-1 visa, a green card or through the Optional Practical Training program.

An H-1B visa can allow a person born in another country who has a bachelor's degree or higher and specialized knowledge to temporarily work in the U.S. These visas are granted to employers, not the person. There is a cap on how many H-1B visas will be approved annually, and they are granted on a first-come, first-served basis. An H-1B visa allows a foreign-born worker to reside in the U.S. for six years, and it can be renewed if the worker is awaiting approval for permanent residency status.

An F-1 visa is granted to students who are pursuing a college degree. It allows them to reside in the U.S. and work part-time while they are pursuing higher education. This includes not just bachelor's degrees but also graduate-level degrees.

A person born in another country can also seek a green card that would allow them to become a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. Green cards can be granted to anyone seeking U.S. permanent residency, not just those with a degree in higher education. Some people enter the U.S. via a H-1B visa and then apply for a green card.

Finally, under the OPT program, full-time students at institutes of higher education can temporarily stay in the U.S. upon graduation to gain work experience. They do not require a sponsor and there is no cap on how many people can reside in the U.S. under the OPT program. However, a person can only stay in the nation through the OPT program for either one year from the date they graduated or four years if a person's degree is in the field of science, technology, engineering or math.

These are only some ways a foreign-born person can reside and work in the U.S. There are many important steps to take if you are seeking a visa or green card, or if you are acting as a sponsor for someone seeking a visa or green card. Some people find it helpful to seek legal guidance in such matters, so they understand what is required of them.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

745 W. Main Street, Suite 250
Louisville, KY 40202

Toll Free: 888-364-0726
Phone: 502-410-3861
Phone: 502-587-6400
Fax: 502-587-6400
Louisville Law Office Map