Coming To The US Temporarily

If you wish to enter the U.S. for a temporary period of time, a nonimmigrant visa permits you to travel to a U.S. port of entry and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security to visit for a specific purpose. That purpose might be work, schooling, a conference, etc., or to visit the country, friends, or family.

At the Law Office of Dennis M. Clare, PSC, we can explain your options and guide you toward your goals. Based in Louisville, our lawyers serve clients throughout Kentucky.

What Type Of Visa Do You Need?

A nonimmigrant visa differs from an immigrant visa in that the nonimmigrant visa only allows a person to enter temporarily, whereas an immigrant visa holder can enter and stay permanently.

The length of time someone can stay in the U.S. depends on the visa status under which they are admitted (for example, specialty occupation). And a person admitted in one status can often change their status in order to stay longer — or to perform different activities. For instance, a medical school student may want to change his or her status to an employer-sponsored nonimmigrant visa once they graduate and find employment (assuming their new employer will sponsor them). Several types of nonimmigrant visas also allow a person to extend their status and thereby extend their stay in the U.S.

The process can sometimes be confusing and complicated. Our firm can make it much easier — determining the visa category that is right for you and assisting you with changing status from your current category to the new category. In appropriate cases, we can also obtain legal status and work authorization for your dependent family members.

The Most Commonly Used Temporary Working Visa Categories

  • H1-B specialty occupation
    This nonimmigrant visa classification applies to an alien who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation (one which typically requires a bachelor’s degree) or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability. Under current law, there is an annual limit of 65,000 aliens who may be issued a visa or otherwise provided H-1B status. As many as 20,000 additional H-1B slots are available to graduates of U.S. master’s degree (or higher) programs.
  • L-1 intra-company transfers
    The L-1 visa permits multinational companies to transfer high-level and essential employees from their international offices to the United States. The nonimmigrant would work at the affiliate or subsidiary of that same employer in the U.S. in a managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge capacity.
  • E-1 treaty traders
    The E-1 visa allows an individual to enter the United States on a nonimmigrant basis for the sole purpose of carrying on substantial trade between his or her country and the United States. The home country of the nonimmigrant must have a treaty with the United States.
  • E-2 treaty investor
    If you come to the U.S. to run an enterprise in which you are invested, you may obtain the nonimmigrant visa status of E-2 treaty investor. If you are an employee of a treaty trader investor you may also be qualified as an E-visa holder if your duties require special qualifications essential to the business. The nonimmigrant must have the same nationality as the alien employer and the home country of the nonimmigrant must have a treaty with the United States.
  • O-1 individuals of extraordinary ability or achievement
    Highly talented or acclaimed individuals may be eligible for an O visa for entry into the U.S. People who may qualify for this visa are physicians, scientists, and accomplished businesspeople as well as athletes considered at the top of their field.
  • TN professionals
    These visas are limited to nationals of Canada and Mexico. If you are employed in one of the 63 listed professions in NAFTA, you can apply for nonimmigrant TN status. Most of the listed professions require either a bachelor’s degree or a licensures degree.
  • R-1 religious workers
    The R-1 visa permits religious workers to come to the U.S. to take on a religious occupation and perform services for their religious organization. The religious organization must already be established in the United States.

Take Action

Find out about many other means of obtaining a nonimmigrant visa to the U.S. Call our law firm to arrange an initial consultation with an experienced attorney or complete the online form.